Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Our Holidays and So On

Jared and I started our holidays so excited to get out of the Utah weather, looking forward to the Cailfornia warmth. I spent the day baking cinnamon rolls for his family, and getting all packed up, while Jared took the car in for some maintanace. We finally got on the road, trying so hard to get out of the blizzard weather and beat the storm so we wouldn't hit to much ice. We finally we able to get ahead of the storm, when we noticed that the car was smoking and we were over heated.
Before we left we filled the car with coolant, but it was quickly going through it. I had some water bottles in the car, so we filled up the radiator. We could tell that the water pump was working because the water was moving. Then looking at it again a couple minutes later there was nothing in the radiator anymore. All the water we just put it was on the road, it had leaked out.
While talking to my Dad and trying to figure out what was goibng on, a man pulled over in his Ford Diesal truck. His name was Larry Sidwell and without saying a word to us at first he looks under our hood and then goes back to his car. He pulls out some windshield fluid, and starts pooring into our radiator. I ask my Dad if that is good for it and he says "No, it will clog that radiator." I think " Great!"
Larry says the next closest town is about fifteen to twenty miles up ahead. We decide to go ahead and try to slowly make our way there, and Larry said he's follow.
Jared and I didn't make it twenty feet without the car completely shutting off and loosing all power. We quickly go to the side of the road, and Larry and Jared figure out that our timing belt has broke.
Larry asked me if I would like to ride up with him in a heated car since it's in the teens. I tell him that I didn't want to offend him but that I would feel more comfortable riding with my husband.
Larry understand, and goes on connecting a chain to our car to his, tying it with electrical tape. Larry tells us he is going to try to stay at around 55mph. We start going, Jared and I getting very nervous, with blizzard conditions we can see Larry's car sliding a little bit, and he is still going 55 mph. We are loosing our lights, draining our alternator and battery. We were scared that we weren't going to make it to the next town, especially since it was longer than we all had expected to be.
We finally make it into a flying J. Larry is kind enough to jump our battery since it was completly dead, and it was supposed to get below zero that night, so the battery would draina little naturally. Jared and I decided whether or not we should go to the motel across the freeway or not. We knew that we had a blanket in the car, but it was supposed to get in the negatives that night. Larry offered to pay for our hotel and insisted that we go to the motel so we wouldn't freeze.
We get to the motel, and they only have one room, a smoking room. Larry pulls out some cash to pay for it, but there is a one hundred dollar deposit on cash. That would be a lot of oney, and Jared and I didn't want him to do that. Especially after doing so much for us already. Talk about a good samaritan!
The next day my brother Derek comes up to get us with his truck, and hooks our car up with a dolly. We find out that the type of engine the Rodeo has would require that we replace not only the timing belt but also the valve train. Costing us the same amount to get a whole new engine. We know we cannot do that so we decide to go ahead and fix the civic. It being a cheaper and faster fix, that could get us on our way to Calfornia faster for Christmas. Jared and Derek spend the day fixing the Wheel Barrings on the car and it sounds great after. NO MORE JET ENGINE SOUND!!!
We finally get into Santa Barbara around 5:30 in the morning on Christmas day.
Spending a couple days with Jared's family was a lot of fun, getting to know them better. While we were there, Jared and I noticed some weird things going on with me. Things that seemed to be symptoms of a preganancy, and I had missed my period. But pregnancy sticks came out negative.
When it was time for us to leave and go back to Utah, we took Katelyn with us, to take her back to school in Rexburg. We had a hard time getting out of California taking us over seven hours to get out.
Meanwhile Jared, Katelyn and I shared in some great conversations together, enjoying each others company.
We get into Las Vegas and decide to go to In and Out by the strip. On our way out we realized we should probably check the oil levels in the car, since my car goes through oil realy fast. I get up to the front of the car, and turn to Jared and say " Look, you see that?" The whole front of the car was covered in oil. " Did you leave the oil cap off" I asked. Jared goes, "crap!" I open the hood, getting oil all over my hands. Sure enough the oil cap was not there and the oil had splattered all over. It was the middle of the night and we had no wear to go to get a new one. We asked a gas station where the nearest walmat was, and did the only thing we could for now. We used some duck tape to cover the oil. Surprisingly that lasted us all the way to Utah, allowing us to get one first thing.
After stoppint the night at our house in Utah and sleeping we headed out for Rexburg, Idaho to drop Katelyn off for school and to visit Spencer and Michelle. We were there for 3 days, it snowning non stop. But hanging out with Spencer, Michelle, Katlyn, and the kids was so much fun! We went sledding on New Year's Day. Katelyn and I created a little jump at the end of one part of the hill.
Katelyn and I goofed off with eachother, and having a little snow ball fight, I ran up to her to try to tackle her, and white wash her. HAHAHA SHe of course wouldn't have it and came after me for revenge, dun dun dun. Anyways we had a lot of fun as if we were blood sisters.
While at Spencer's and Michelle though, I was constantly tired, and found that my stomach was hurting along with some other areas. Thinking it might be a bladder infection Spencer got some Cranberry juice for me. The next day when we left Michelle adivised that I go to the Doctor the next day.
I did go to the Doctor's the next morning. Amoung one of things that we found out was that I have bladder stones. DANGET!
On a good note though, I started Nursin school finally, and Jared is started school again, along with track. And I found cereal on sale for 88 cents! YAY!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment